On Day 8/9, I repeated the same process of transferring one teaspoon of dough from previous day onto a new glass container. Then, I added two tablespoons of the flour mix. I realized that MORE and MORE bubbles were formed. Honestly, when I check my dough, I almost died from the shock. On Day 6/7, there were barely any bubbles forming on the top layer, and even less on the bottom of the dough. So, when I checked the dough and saw that there were substantial amount of bubbles visible today, I was extremely relieved! The dough smelled still very sweet, but with a hint of alcohol. It’s really hard to explain, but it kind of smelled like freshly opened toast bread, but a hint of sourness.The alcohol smell is coming from the yeast fermentation. The by-product of fermentation is not only CO2( as seen as bubbles here) but ethanol also. This is the reason why the dough will smell like alcohol because the yeasts are producing alcohol and CO2 (Along with lactic acid as I mentioned that gives off the sour smell! 🙂
There were some things I changed this time that could have affected the growth of yeast population (as seen by the amount of bubble formation).
1) I added one more layer of kitchen towel and I wrapped it around the bowl as to limit oxygen access and trap humidity.
2) I added less water. I almost made the dough into a thicker paste (almost gooey) instead of the almost dripping sample I used to make.
3) I started to use smaller containers.
I don’t know if these three methods were the reason for the substantial difference in the amounts of bubbles produced or just the placebo effect, but I think for future dough makers out there, it’s worth the effort to try. 🙂